Saturday, March 14, 2009

International Space Station


Hey Kids,

I am still in Fontana, Ca waiting for a load. Looks like I won't be leaving until monday though. However, with some of the time I have I am reading about the International Space Station. It's short name is called the ISS.

I have been fascinated with space since I was a kid. I remember watching the Apollo rockets take off with the astronauts that would explore the moon. It was also exciting to watch when the capsule would come back to earth and splash into the sea where a Navy ship would then go and get the astronauts at the end of their mission. These days, they take off and come back to earth in the same vehicle...the Space Shuttle!

Over the past several years, the United States and other countries have been building the space station. Several space shuttle missions were used, and continue to be used to build the station. Many important things happen every day on the space station...so many that I could never say them all. However, all the experiments they do will help us with medicine, technology and other things that will make our life easier here on earth.

One post I read from an astronaut told about what she saw as she took a moment to look out of the window down towards earth. I thought it was fascinating, and thought you might like to read what she saw as well. You can click here to see what she wrote.

Here are a few more links you might like to see:
So one question for you; can you guess how FAST the ISS travels around the earth? Write to me and give me your guess!

Also, let me know what kinds of things you are interested in. Perhaps what your hobbies are, or what you want to be when you grow up. Take care kids! Until next time....

Blessings,
~TruckerTony

14 comments:

  1. hey trucker buddy tony I like your space picture did you go up in space

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love your baby Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  3. March 27, 2009
    Hello there Tony!
    Wishing you a Happy Birthday! We are hoping you have a wonderful celebration with your family. I just hope you're home on this day and not on the road. I didn't get to see my class today because I was invited to give a presentation to some teachers in Los Angeles at St. Mary's School. I showed your site to the teachers and they're impressed with the way you send your message across to the kids. I told them that the information they received from you are facts that they don't ordinarily get to read in textbooks. Thank you so much for all your hard work. God bless you a hundredfold this day and beyond. You have a great weekend.
    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tony
    I like your pictures of the space station.
    By the way I am getting better at frizzbee.
    I went with my Mom and my Dad and Aunt katy to Benicia. We had ice cream there. We took a look at the pier. Lorenzo

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ISS orbits the earth every 90 minutes, which means in a 24 hour period, it can orbit the earth 16 times. Lorenzo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jonas,

    Although I have done many things in my life...I have never been to space. However, you may have to chance to do that when you grow up. Did you know that they are working on a vehicle that looks like a plane that will take people up to space and then right back to earth? That sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kris,

    My youngest daughter Kristy is a crack up. She likes to dance and make funny faces. She also will not let us feed her...she has to do it by herself. And boy does she make a mess! Write again Kris!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Ms Sison,

    Thank you for your kind note. As my luck would have it, I was once again on the road for my birthday, however my day was good. I am glad that you think enough of what we are doing here to share with others in your field. It is as fun and enjoyable to me as it is for you and the kids. You have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lorenzo,

    I found those pictures on the Internet. There are many cool pictures of space and stuff on the Internet. I have been to Benicia before, but it was a long time ago. When I was younger I played a game called Frisbee Golf. So what is your favorite flavor of ice cream? I don't have a favorite...I like them all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi again Lorenzo,

    You know, I didn't even read how many times the ISS goes around the earth...but that sounds right. Did you know it has to travel at over 17,000 miles per hour to do that? I wonder if they give speeding tickets in space. Take care Lorenzo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi it seems that you like astronauts. I read the astronauts message it was really long. Have a nice day.
    God Bless. From Alexis

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Alexis,

    I love anything that has to do with space. I remember as a kid watching TV to see the space capsule with the astronauts coming back to earth after visiting the moon. Back then, the capsule landed in the ocean and Navy ships had to go and pluck them out of the water!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kristopher,

    Kristy will be 2 years old on July 5th.

    ReplyDelete